I am all about a rice bowl, and I do not tend to do much ordering out. I made this the other day for the first time and it was extremely delicious! A thousand times better than ordering take out, and just as easy…and bonus points for being prepared fresh in my own kitchen! This is my own variation on honey chicken, and I hope you enjoy!
What to Expect: A hearty rice bowl, sweet and a bit spicy
Prep Time: 20-30 mins
Serves: About 4 servings. It will feed two with leftovers for lunch 😉
What you Need
For the Chicken
- 2 Large Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts, chopped into cubes
- Equal parts all-purpose flour and panko bread crumbs (to yield about 2 cups)
- 3 TBSP Garlic Salt
For the Sauce
- 1 TBSP Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup of Honey
- 2 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (or more, to taste)
- A few shakes of MAGGI (optional, but delicious. You can get this at most Asian grocery stores. Be aware that MAGGI is pretty much a pure gluten product. If you are sensitive to gluten, you may want to omit this, and if you use it, only a shake or two is necessary.)
- Mix all ingredients, except the cornstarch, together in a small sauce pot.
- Heat a small amount of oil over medium-high heat (vegetable or otherwise, your choice. I used olive oil.)
- Mix the Panko crumbs, flour, and garlic salt in a large bowl
- Toss the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, and place gently into the pre-heated pan. Add about a tablespoon of water and cover. Cook through.
- While chicken is cooking, heat the saucepan to a boil, then remove from heat.
- When chicken is cooked through and the breading is somewhat crunchy, add the cornstarch to the saucepan, stir, and pour over the chicken in the skillet. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes (I usually prepare the rice into bowls and set the table while this is finishing up). Do not cook it too long, or the sugar will burn!
- Serve over rice immediately (Jasmine is my preference) Note – If you use a rice cooker, you can prepare the rice and cook the meal while the rice rooks (prep for this meal only takes about 20 minutes!)
That is it! Enjoy!